As we are moving into our 7th year of photographing women, there are a lot of things we hear over and over again from clients as well as things we hear from fellow photographers. Our hopes for this post is to get clients and photographers on the same page about what to expect from Boudoir!
1. Its ok to be nervous. In fact, we welcome it! Nerves mean you are outside your comfort zone. Guess where all the fun stuff happens in life? That’s right – outside your comfort zone!! That’s where growth and self discovery thrive. Embrace the nerves, we promise they won’t last long.
2. We aren’t judging (or even really looking) at your body. We know that sounds crazy, but as photographers – that is not our job. Our job is to master posing, light, emotion, etc… So yes although we SEE you, we aren’t picking you apart. We are actually always aiming to capture the best of you and therefore, that is what we see.
3. On that note, you should know – Both Men and Women make great photographers! Men have the ability to see women a different way than Women can. It’s not that one way is wrong or right. They are just different. When searching for a photographer, keep in mind which would make you feel more comfortable and who has the style you prefer.
4. You don’t have to lose 5 or 10 pounds to book a shoot. Here’s a tip ladies -Wardrobe is key!! With the proper wardrobe, you are giving your photographer the ability to pose you any way they would like. By posing you properly, we will always make you look as good as you look in real life, if not better! And do yourself a favor – Get yourself measured!! Most women are wearing the wrong bra size. The proper bra size makes you look firmer, trimmer and way hotter. (Oh and PS… your period isn’t an excuse to cancel a shoot – a little bloat doesn’t really show on camera.)
5. What we Photoshop. There are SOME things we can photoshop out – like tan lines, bruises, or a little tattoo. Those can easily go, but if the tattoo covers your whole back, maybe not. Talk to your photographer to see what their policies are.
6. The more it hurts the better it looks. We are here to tell you that even though you WILL feel amazing, it is a lot of work. We are going to pose you and make you wear uncomfortable shoes and wardrobe. Your back will be sore, you may have blisters on your feet… but trust us when we tell you it’s worth it. Even though it might feel weird, trust us when we pose you. Our expertise is what you are paying for!
7. Even though you say “it’s for him”, it’s also for you. Most women book shoots as a gift for someone else. The truth is, the experience is for you! The photos are the souvenir. Embrace the experience. The feelings that come along with it. Look back at the photos and remember how incredible you felt that day. You deserve the gift too.
8. Privacy is key. We will respect your privacy. If you don’t sign a model release, we will not share your photos without your permission. Your happiness and comfort are the most important thing in the world to us. That said, we love when you tell others how awesome we are. Boudoir is built on referrals and trust. If you love and trust us, please spread the word!
9. Size or age doesn’t matter. We don’t care if you are a size 2 or a size 22. 25 years old or 85 years old. We want all women to celebrate their unique femininity. That truly means ALL women. Don’t put boundaries on yourself just because you “think” it’s not for you.
10. Be prepared, this could be a life changer. You think you are booking a photo shoot for fun or a gift. And you are! However, there is often the most incredible side effect to this experience. Often women will realize their potential. Their secret powers. Their true worth. They will get in touch with feelings they repressed and forgot about a long time ago. These feelings open up their minds and worlds. It gives them power to LIVE. To go after what they want in life. To get out of bad relationships, to apply for new jobs, to travel, to fall in love… The possibilities are endless. This is not just a photo shoot. It’s a life experience.
We hope this will shed some light on how fun and life changing boudoir can be! Please make sure to share with your friends… and take the leap – it’s SO worth it!